An Unusual Presentation of Kikuchi-Fujimoto Disease on Cytomorphology
A rare case report
Background and Objective:
Kikuchi Fujimoto Disease[KFD] is an uncommon condition presenting with necrotizing lymphadenitis associated constitutional symptoms and associated autoimmune disease. Cytology is an evolving diagnostic tool in low sensitivity on this disease having many differentials often warranting biopsy. Herewith we present a rare case report of KFD with non classical mode of presentation and emphasizing the diagnostic utility of cytology in effective pick up of the diagnosis.
A 22 year old female presented with cervical lymphadenopathy with constitutional symptoms. Unusually no associated autoimmune conditions noted with negative serology. Cytomorphologyclinched the features of histiocytic lymphadenitis along with karyohexis with non necrotizing background. Subsequent biopsy proved the cytology diagnosis of KFD.
KFD can appear as atypical presentation without any association of autoimmune disease. Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology(FNAC) proved to be useful in effective diagnosis obviating the need for biopsy.
2. Yilmaz M, Camci C, Sari I, et al. Histiocytic necrotizing lymphadenitis
(Kikuchi-Fujimoto’s disease) mimicking systemic lupus erythematosus: a
review of two cases. Lupus. J Cytol. 2006; 15: 384-7.
3. Lin HC, Su CY, Huang CC, Hwang CF, Chien CY. Kikuchi’s disease:a review
and analysis of 61 cases. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2003; 128: 650-3.
4. Tsang WY, Chan JK. Fine-needle aspiration cytologic diagnosis of Kikuchi’s
lymphadenitis: a report of 27 cases. Am J ClinPathol. 1994; 102: 454-8.
5. Jayaraj SM, Lloyd J, Frosh AC, Patel KS. Kikuchi-Fujimoto’s syndrome
masquerading as tuberculosis. J Laryngol Otol. 1999; 113: 82-4.
6. Yoo HJ, Cho HJ, Ko IH. Fine needle aspiration cytologic fndings of Kikuchi’s
lymphadenitis: analysis of 30 cases. Korean J Cytopathol. 1994; 5; 113-9.
7. Tong TR, Chan OW, Lee KC. Diagnosing Kikuchi disease on fne needle
aspiration biopsy: a retrospective study of 44 cases diagnosed by cytology
and 8 by histopathology. Acta Cytol. 2001; 45: 953-7.