Communication Skills Teaching Learning In Prosthodontics
Background and Objective:
To carry out an in-depth training on communication skills for Prosthodontic postgraduates for dealing with complete denture patients and analysis using Kalamazoo scale. The effectiveness of the training was evaluated based on Kirkpatrick’s model.
Material and Methods:
Videorecording of doctor patient interactions was done during complete denture treatment procedures for 27 completely edentulous patients in the Department of Prosthodontics, Indira Gandhi Institute of Dental Sciences, Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth, Pondicherry.The videorecordings were analysed using Kalamazoo scale for assessment of communication skills and strength and weakness of postgraduates were identified. Based on the findings a need based customized training program involving general and individualized sessions were planned.Post training the same process of videorecording and analysis was done for another set of 18 patients to see the difference in attitude of postgraduates. The outcomes of the program were evaluated using Kirk Patrick model.
“Remarkable” improvements were identified in various aspects of communication skills and development of the skills of reflective practice which was evident from their change in attitude at all four levels in the post training videoanalysis based on Kalamazoo scale and self reflection of postgraduates.
Such customised training and evaluation for dealing with complete denture patients based on Kirkpatrick’s framework helps in achieving a targeted outcome and brings change in attitude at all the four levels thereby contributing towards effective patient centered practice.
update. Braz Dent Sci 2014; 17:5-16.
2. Pistorius J, Horn JG, Pistorius A, Kraft J. Oral health-related
quality of life in patients with removable dentures. Schweiz
Monatsschr Zahnmed 2013; 123:964-71.
3. de Cássia Motta Silva J, dos Santos J F F, Marchini L. Factors
inﬂuencing patients’ satisfaction with complete dentures: a
qualitative study Braz Dent Sci 2014;17:83-8
4. Shigli K, Awinashe V. Patient-Dentist Communication: An
Adjunct to Successful Complete Denture Treatment. J Prosthodont
2010 19: 491–3.
5. Bates RA, Holton EF III, Seyler D A, Carvalho M A. The role of
interpersonal factors in the application of computer-based training
in an industrial setting. Human Res Dev Int 2000; 3: 19–43.
6. Kirkpatrick D L. Evaluation of training. In R. L. Craig (Ed.),
Training and development handbook: A guide to human resource
development. New York: McGraw Hill; 1976
7. Kirkpatrick D L. Evaluating training programs: the four levels.
San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler; 1994
8. Peterson EB, Calhoun AW, Rider EA. The reliability of a
modifed Kalamazoo Consensus Statement Checklist for assessing
the communication skills of multidisciplinary clinicians in the
simulated environment.Patient Edu Couns 2014; 96:411-8.
9. Dong T, LaRochelle JS, Durning SJ, Saguil A, Swygert K, Artino
AR Jr. Longitudinal Eﬀects of Medical Students’ Communication
Skills on Future Performance. Mil Med 2015; 180:24-30
10. Sethuraman KR. Communication skills in clinical practice (Doctor
patient communication). 1st ed. India: Jaypee Medical Publishers
P Ltd; 2001.
11. Sethuraman KR. Communication skills in clinical practice (Doctor
patient communication). 2nd ed. India: Jaypee Medical Publishers
P Ltd; 2017.
12. Forsyth I, Jolliﬀe A, Stevens D. Evaluating a course: practical
strategies for teachers, lecturers and trainers. 2nd ed. London: Kogan
13. Perron J N, Sommer J, Louis-Simonet M, Nendaz M.Teaching
communication skills: beyond wishful thinking. Swiss Med
Wkly. 2015;145: w14064
14. Yoshida T, Milgrom P, Coldwell S. How do U.S. and Canadian
dental schools teach interpersonal communication skills? J Dent
Educ 2002; 66: 1281-7
15. Hannah A, Millichamp CJ, Ayers KMS. A Communication Skills
Course for Undergraduate Dental Students. J Dent Educ 2004;
16. Stufebeam DL. Daniel Stufebeam’s CIPP model for evaluation:
an improvement- and accountability-oriented approach.
In: Stufebeam DL, Coryn CLS, editors. Evaluation Theory,
Models, and Applications. 2nd ed. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass;
17. Cheung L. Applying a reﬂexive framework to evaluate a
communication skills curriculum. Advances in Medical Education
and Practice 2016:7;587-92
18. Kirkpatrick DL, Kirkpatrick JD. Evaluating Training Programs:
The Four Levels. 3rd ed. Oakland, CA: Berrett-Koehler Publishers;
19. Moldovana L.Training Outcome Evaluation Model. Procedia
20. Gadbury-Amyot CC, Smith DB,Overman PR, Bunce L. Faculty
Development at One Midwestern Dental School: A Program
Evaluation. J Dent Educ 2015;79:1177-88